Not too long ago, I took it upon myself to finally organize the shelves in our basement. They were full of random books, movies, pictures, games, unknown…things?! Well, just a bunch of random
crap stuff that probably didn’t belong there and we just stored it in the bookcase when we moved in because we just didn’t know what to do with it all.
See the bookcase on the left? Lots of stuff there! And yes, that is a part of a piano (on the wall on the right) that the previous owner left behind when she moved. This picture was taken when we first moved in and seriously didn’t look that bad after a while, but still quite messy regardless.
So, I went to Bureau en Gros (which is a whole other story all in itself), and got a few things for my organization project and yes, the Dollar Store (the things you can find there!). This is how it turned out.
Not too shabby, huh? As I finished putting things away, I did notice that it was kind of…girly (note the flowers). So I’m thinking of figuring out a way to make it more “boyfriend” friendly (seeing as how he is definitely NOT girly!). But it will do for now. It’s clutter free and clean for the moment, leaving more room for ideas.
Here’s a list of a few things I did to fancy it up:
- Used baskets to store random wires, electronics, etc (top shelf)
- White filing boxes to store magazines/books (2nd shelf from the top on the left)
- Covered colorful hard covered books with paper (4th shelf from the top)
- Bought little boxes to store batteries, pens and pencils, random CDs, etc. (4th shelf from the top, center)
- Color coordinated books (black with black, red and blue together, soft colors, and red-black-orange (2nd and 3rd shelf from the top)
- Picture frame holders used to display my favorite books (3rd shelf from the top)
- Little decorations (picture frames, Go board, flowers, candles, and photo album)
I find it looks a million times better!
What do you do around the house to spruce things up a bit?
See you tomorrow morning!