First off, I have to mention that I am proud to say that this is my 100th post! Hopefully there are many more to come.
Something I was always interesting in trying was making my own sushi rolls. My boyfriend and I would often go out to eat at an all you can eat sushi place nearby, but sometimes that just didn’t seem to be enough. One year, not too long ago, I attempted to make my own. I’m in love with avocado rolls (yes, I know – it’s simple) and just had to learn how to do it myself. With the help of many online websites and books, I finally got up the courage to try it. I have to say I was very pleased with the results and even ventured as far as to start using salmon (another favorite), tuna, and a mix of ingredients.
If you ever had the urge to try to make your own sushi, I would highly recommend it. I think it’s fun and, once you get the hang of it, easy! To start, I would suggest making Avocado Rolls.
Good Morning, Joe
How To Make Avocado Rolls
What you’ll need:
3 sheets of nori (halved lengthwise)
1/2 cup of sushi rice
2 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp of sugar
2 tsp of rice vinegar
1 bamboo sushi mat
Roasted black and white sesame seeds to taste
Pickled ginger for sushi
Sushi Soy Sauce
How to prepare the sushi rice:
- Wash the rice until the water is clear. Follow cooking directions and put aside.
- Mix the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a saucepan and heat (be sure not to boil).
- Mix in with the rice and allow to cool.
How to prepare the avocado:
- Slice avocado in half, lengthwise
- Remove the seed (pit)
- Peel the skin
- Slice into 1 cm thin slices lengthwise
- Place 1/2 nori sheet, shiny side down and horizontally on the bamboo mat.
- Wet your hands and pick up a ball of rice (slightly smaller than the size of a golf ball). Spread rice evenly on the nori sheet, leaving about a 2 cm strip along the edge furthest from you uncovered.
- Arrange the avocado strips along the center of the rice. Don’t leave any gaps between pieces. Sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds (to taste).
- Wet the edge furthest from you (the edge left uncovered) with a bit of rice vinegar
- Place your fingers on the avocado strips to hold them into place, lift the edge of the mat closest to you, and roll the mat away from you while still holding the avocado firmly in place.
- Continue to roll the mat forward and gently apply pressure to keep the roll firm. Use the mat to shape the roll into a circle “log”. The rice vinegar put on the uncovered edge will help it to stick and stay wrapped.
- Slice roll in half, then each half into 3 equal parts.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve with side of ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce
Here are a few suggestions for other rolls: